If you like conceptual art, think about honking.
I went to LACMA this weekend to check out the Dan Flavin exhibit. I'm a secret conceptual art lover. Anything DIA related, I'm in. Robert Irwin, sign me up. Richard Serra, my claustrophobia is your claustrophobia. Fred Sandback, I love your yarn.
So when my sister mentioned the Dan Flavin exhibit, I was in. It's phenomenal. I'd seen some of his stuff at Dia:Beacon years ago, but it was all in one room, and kinda small stuff. And though I'd just finished reading "Seeing is forgetting the name of the thing one sees," I didn't quite get it. I don't know if I even got it this time, but I think I did.
Your whole consciousness changes. Getting close to the sculptures, slowly, is like feeling your brain change. We accidentally entered the exhibit from the back, drawn into the room holding one of his "barriers" from 1973. The room is a the essence of green. As you stay in the room, you feel it become
less green. And when you look back at the daylight, it looks pink. You know your brain is playing tricks on you, but it's still pretty awesome. Or maybe that's what makes it awesome.