australia - it's almost like america
Saturday:
I survived the 14 hour flight. Friday March 5th did not exist for me. I got in, checked into my hostel, showered, and walked over to the marina and went sailing. It was the Aussies against the Americans, and I'm proud to say the Americans won one race. Of three. Which means that we lost, really. But it was a fantastic time. Ntina and I were in the aft crew, which doesn't really exist, but did mean that we ran back and forth as ballast. Oh, and Ntina flirted with the men on the other boats around us. And they flirted back.
Sunday:
I walked over the Harbor bridge to the Rocks, and immediately ran into Brendan and Liz. I think Sydney must be very small. Liz and I walked around to the opera house, wandered inside to a free exhibit on design, and then hung out on her fancy roof deck pool for a bit.
The wedding at night was beautiful. Jeni looked absolutely incredible. Food, drink, dancing, fun.
Monday:
I went swimming in the olympic pool at the base of the harbor bridge. I was really excited for it until I jumped in and it was SALT WATER. I didn't go swimming again this morning.
We then went to Watsons Point and gorged ourselves on amazing seafood. The grilled octopus is my favorite. Kat, Michael, and I ended up at a ritsy Thai restaurant in Surrey Hills for cocktails and food. Yum yum.
Tuesday:
It's been a lazy morning, and Kat, Michael, and I (and perhaps others) are going to Manly Beach this afternoon.
The overall impression is: Australia seems pretty much the same as home. More expensive, but weather like Cali. The people are also rather beautiful. But all my friends are here, and it doesn't seem as strange as it should.
Tomorrow Michael and I fly to the great barrier reef for some diving.