The land of iz
iomeara
about
photography
portfolio
stanford product design

email
Monday, May 17, 2004
triathalon - check.
The triathalon was on Saturday - I am happy to say it is over with, I finished, and I didn't even stop.

There were five of us who did it - Nicole, a fellow first year, her boyfriend Eric, Tobin, a second year, and his girlfriend Emily. Ian (third year) had been signed up to do it, but decided not to, and Eric went in his place. What you need to know is that Eric is super hard core. He's training for an Ironman later this summer. He's a member of a triathalon club.

So, Nicole, Eric and I went up to Napa together - we left at around 4:15. AM. We kind of dawdled in the parking lot, and getting down to the starting line, and Eric and Tobin, who went in the first heat, had to run to make it in. In fact, we think Tobin wasn't necessarily counted as being in the first heat, he was so late. Emily, Nicole, and I went in the last heat (although Emily should have been up further for sure - she did super well), which meant that the front runners of the race came out of the water as we waited to go in. The front runners - like Eric (he was second) and Tobin (in the first 10). That was pretty cool.

The race itself went fine. Unlike most of the other people (and there were 600 total), I did not wear a wetsuit for the swim, and it was a little chilly in Lake Berryessa, but not too bad. The swim was mostly heinous because of the mass of people - kicking you, swimming in front of you, being kicked by you (accidentally!). The bike and run were out and back, and on the same course, so during the bike you could check out what the terrain would be like for the run. Rolling hills for both. During my bike I saw the leaders heading back - like Eric (again in 2nd place...) and Tobin (also kicking ass). It was nice getting to see each other during the race.

The bike wasn't too bad - I actually passed people on the hills, which was novel, since I trained with Nicole and Emily who are better bikers than I, and always waiting for me. My left foot fell asleep for most of the bike, though, which sucked. I don't remember if I could feel it on the run or not - I was concentrating on finishing more. And the run, well, it was fine. It's super hard to go from biking to running - your legs are totally leaden. I think I could have gone faster on the run, but mentally I just wasn't there. I saw Nicole starting the run when I came in from the bike. With Eric. 'Cause he was finished, having come in second, and could run four more miles. I mean, Ian Halpern came in second. That's what it says in the results - I think Ian might even get a plaque, which is hilarious.

Afterwards I went back in the lake for a dip, and then we sat around and took pictures and dawdled and then went and got burritos and ice cream yum.

Ok, so what you really want to know - did I win?? Um, no. I came in 346th. Nicole came in 322nd. Emily was 100th, Tobin officially came in 3rd, but we think he was more like 8th, and of course, Eric/Ian came in 2nd. The Envirosports Web site has times and splits and such if you're interested.

And of course, there are pictures. 
ARCHIVES
08.2003 / 09.2003 / 10.2003 / 11.2003 / 12.2003 / 01.2004 / 02.2004 / 04.2004 / 05.2004 / 07.2004 / 08.2004 / 09.2004 / 11.2004 / 12.2004 / 01.2005 / 02.2005 / 03.2005 / 04.2005 / 05.2005 / 06.2005 / 06.2007 / 09.2007 / 03.2008 / 04.2008 / 06.2008 / 07.2008 / 08.2008 / 11.2008 / 01.2009 / 05.2009 / 06.2009 / 09.2009 /

Powered by Blogger