The land of iz
iomeara
about
photography
portfolio
stanford product design

email
Friday, October 17, 2003
Investment casting, part 2
Yesterday we started invested our stuff for investment casting. Investing, I think, is just pouring plaster around a sprued and filleted mold.

I decided that if I was going to be involved to learn, I might as well make something for class. So I made an art60 project - Something that is gratifying to hold/handle.



My shape in wax. I first carved it, then used a Dremel to carve it further. 3 hours of sanding later, I melted the surface to remove all marks, and got this.


Today we're babysitting the investment as it heats up and the wax drips out. It takes 9 hours, and I've got the 12-1:30 shift. Tonight, we cast! I'm doing bronze. This may be a complete failure, but so be it. 
ARCHIVES
08.2003 / 09.2003 / 10.2003 / 11.2003 / 12.2003 / 01.2004 / 02.2004 / 04.2004 / 05.2004 / 07.2004 / 08.2004 / 09.2004 / 11.2004 / 12.2004 / 01.2005 / 02.2005 / 03.2005 / 04.2005 / 05.2005 / 06.2005 / 06.2007 / 09.2007 / 03.2008 / 04.2008 / 06.2008 / 07.2008 / 08.2008 / 11.2008 / 01.2009 / 05.2009 / 06.2009 / 09.2009 /

Powered by Blogger