First success in art
Finally, I brought in something to art class that went over well. After 7 hours of finishing, my investment cast bronze hand sculpture was done. It's pretty amazing - after every step of finishing, I felt pretty sure that it couldn't get any shinier, but no, it got shinier. Impressive.
The assignment is
Many designed products must be grasped or handled as well as seen to be experienced. [On that basis], produce a three-dimensional object that is particularly gratifying to handle. Use any material that works.
The point is, people liked it. In particular, they wanted to know more about investment casting, but they liked the object also. I did get some porosity during the casting (also known as holes - one big one), and was a bit disappointed about that, but as fellow classmate Adam pointed out, and then Matt Kahn after him, master craftsmen make mistakes too - its just what they do with them that make them master craftsmen.