pig roast
Every year, for maybe 5 or 6 years, one of the graduate residences has a pig roast. This year, due to the overwhelming popularity of last year's roast, they did not one but two pigs. 24 hours of slow cooking, for delicious pulled pork.
After eating, a couple of us went down to check out the carcasses. In some ways, I'm glad I saw them after eating. But totally interesting - a mini, rudimentary anatomy course. These pigs were pretty gross.
One pig was pretty much done when we got there, but there was a little bit of meat hanging out, and after watching for several minutes, Rachel (a 2nd year PD-er) made the bold move of stepping in and picking up a piece. Soon there were 5 or 6 people hovering around the carcass, picking meat off and placing it directly in our mouths. Oh yeah, I was a participant, not an observer. It was a brief devolution back to the days of the Flintstones, and let me tell you, that pork right off the carcass was damn good.
Sadly, I forgot my digital camera, but a fellow first year shared
his lovely image of a carcass.