Gaylords
Getting my stuff cross-country was a dilemma that stressed me out for most of the months of August and September. Finally, my dad and I decided to ship it through his company's freight carrier. We called up some friends of my parents for help on this side, and they offered to store it in their back yard if it came early.
Well, it came early. And all of my boxes and my bike managed to fit into 2 very large boxes called
gaylords. I think 4'x4'x4'? Well, this is all fine and dandy, my stuff is now a couple of blocks from school. But how do I get it to my apartment?
The kindness of friends. I will always be in debt to Cynthia and Ben (musician friends from Yale). They came with their 1986 Volvo station wagon, and hauled my stuff out of the boxes, and over to my apartment. Since
I could barely lift a couple of books, it shames me to say that I hardly did anything. The Freivogels are my heros. Not to mention the family that allowed their back yard to be taken over by the gaylords.
So, two days later, I'm just finishing unpacking everything and putting my room together. I'm still waiting on a shipment of books from the US postal service, but besides that, I'm ready to go.
Tomorrow night there is a dinner for the new Product Design students. And so it begins. Pictures to follow.